What is the Gold Card
The Gold Card is a treatment card that provides you with clinically required treatment for all medical conditions.
You can also access a range of services and support.
The Gold Card has been redesigned and is also known as a Veteran Gold Card or a Repatriation Health Card for all conditions.
Who can receive it
Australian veterans who meet one of the following criteria
You are a veteran who:
- is aged 70 years or over and has qualifying service
- is an ex-prisoner of war
- served in Japan between 16 August 1945 and 30 January 1946
- served as part of the British Commonwealth Occupation Force between 31 January 1946 and 28 April 1952; or
- participated in the British Nuclear Test program in Australia
What you can receive
The Veteran Gold Card covers you for clinically required medical treatment in Australia for all medical conditions.
Treatment may include:
- treatment at a hospital or day procedure facility
- treatment provided by an allied health professional
- treatment provided by a general practitioner (GP) or specialist
- treatment provided by a dental or optical professional
- medications at the cheaper concession rate
- community nursing; and
- pathology and medical imaging
Medical treatment is usually free if you see a provider who accepts your Veteran Gold Card. There may be some out of pocket expenses for high cost dental items.
When buying prescription items, you will need to pay $6.60 for each item until you reach your Safety Net Threshold for the calendar year.
You may also be able to receive some services and support, including:
- home help
- medical aids, equipment and modifications
- travel to and from medical appointments; and
- care services
Your Veteran Gold Card may also entitle you to receive concessions or discounts, and a Lapel Pin.
How to get your Veteran Gold Card
If we know you are eligible, we will send you a Veteran Gold Card automatically.
If you are not automatically issued with the Veteran Gold Card, you need to apply. You can:
- apply online through MyAccount
- complete and return a claim form as an Australian Defence Force (ADF) veteran
- complete and return a claim form as a British Nuclear Test or British Commonwealth Occupation Force Participant; or
- complete and return a claim form as a member of a SEATO medical team
You can call us on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372) to request a claim form.
How you use it
As your Veteran Gold Card can provide you with a range of benefits and services, the way you use your card may vary.
When you use your Veteran Gold Card for medical treatment:
- Tell your health provider that you have the DVA Veteran Gold Card and ask them if they will accept this for your treatment.
- They may ask if you have a referral.
- In some cases they may need to get prior approval from us.
- Your provider will then tell you if they can accept your Veteran Gold Card.
If you visit your doctor for a prescription, show them your Veteran Gold Card so they can prescribe your items through the Repatriation Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (RPBS).
You also need to show your Gold Card to pharmacy staff when you take your prescription to the counter.
If you do not show your card, you may be charged more, and the purchase may not count towards your Safety Net Threshold under the RPBS.